Why to be involved?
European Aerospace Standardization!
ASD-STAN is an industrial association which establishes, develops and maintains standards on behalf of that European Aerospace Industry. ASD-STAN is holding the CEN Technical Committee for Aerospace and developed more than 3000 European Standards. Currently 2288 European Standards are published as an European Norm (EN) by CEN and its members. (see here for more information about ASD-STAN). ASD-STAN covers several standardization areas in the Aerospace and Defnece sector. See a list of subjects here.
Why standardization? – Benefit for the Industry!
Standards are paying off – The economic benefits of standardization supporting the European national economies between 0,3% and 0,9% and for example are worth in Germany alone by EUR 17 billion a year (*).
- defines the state of the art of technology and innovation;
- is a tool of the industry to ensure transparent and distinct communication between customer, manufacturer and authorities;
- is considered as a tool for the strategic planning;
- has an additional benefit for industry and society;
- is considering objectives such as environment protection, consumer protection, employment protection, health promotion …
- are recognized for safety and quality by customers and users;
- are used as strategic tool to ensure the company objectives;
- creating new markets;
- aiding and accelerating technical progress;
- reducing costs, enhancing performance and improving safety;
- facilitating international trade by ensuring compatibility and interoperability of components, products and services.
- are used globally;
- are supporting regulatory Authorities and public acquisition.
- may ensure their internal rules are covered by general standards.
Interested parties and Experts (including from SME):
- are invited to participate in the standardization work.
- to get detailed knowledge of standards;
- to recognize and influence requirements and trends;
- to influence the contents of standards and ensure that your specific needs are taken into account;
- to get in contact with other stakeholders, experts and regulators at both national and European levels;
- to contribute to the development of standards that will ensure increased safety, quality assurance, rationalization, environmental protection, globalization, innovation, performance, communication, efficiency and interoperability of products and/or services.
How to get involved?
There are several possibilities for interested parties to participate in the development of European Standards:
At national level
- Through the national ASD-STAN member. Check the member list here;
- To become a member of ASD-STAN;
- Through the CEN National Standardization Bodies/CENELEC National Committees
At European Level
- To become a member of ASD-STAN;
- Through the European ASD-STAN member. Check the member list here;
- By contacting the ASD-STAN registered office in Brussels.
At International Level
- ASD-STAN maintains several liaisons with ISO Technical Committees. You may participate in common work through the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Check the current list of ISO liaisons at the ASD-STAN standard presentation.
Principles of standards work:
- Voluntary implementation;
- Public access;
- Broad participation;
- Current knowledge;
- Current technology;
- Of benefit to all;
What is an ASD-STAN prEN Standard and a European Standard (EN)?
A standard is a document, developed by consensus and for general and recurrent use that sets out requirements for activities, or their results as specific items, material, components, systems or services, or describes in detail a particular method or procedure (EN45020).
See “What is the status of an ASD-STAN standard ?” at our FAQ section!
How to get education and training on standardization?
For every kickoff of a new working group, a training on ASD-STAN and the standardization process is offered to the participants of the working group. All relevant management work of the standardization process is done by the project management of ASD-STAN, to ensure that the experts may concentrate on the development of the standard documents.
How to initiate a new standard?
Everybody is invited to propose a subject for standardization to ASD-STAN. For details see our Standardization Process Manual.
* As per the DIN study “Economic Benefits of Standardization“, updated in 2011